Saturday, October 20, 2007

Briiiiiiiiiiiidezillas!

Before I start this post, I have some news: we found a reception site! It's called the Awbury Arboretum. The pictures on the site don't do it justice. It's only a few minutes from our church. You drive through the ghetto of Germantown, Philadelphia, but when you turn off the street, it's as if you are in a different world. Rolling hills with beautiful foliage are surrounded by a winding paved path that leads up to the top of hill, where the arboretum's house sits, overlooking the entire property. The house has a wrap around porch and huge windows. We'll add a tent, a few grills, and a DJ, and we'll have ourselves a little party! The date will be sometime in September or very early October, so stay tuned!

Now on to my original post...

I've been watching alot of that show on the WE channel called Bridezillas. Besides the fact that the narrator has the most annoying affect ever, the show is ridiculous. Either the women are just playing it up for the camera, or they are reacting to stressful situations that would make any woman freak when they are trying to plan a party for a big group of people. Since getting engaged, less than a month ago, I've been told on a few occasions that I have the potential to be a "bridezilla," and I don't think it's ironic that it's been said every time I've expressed an opinion as to what I want for my wedding. So is that what a bridezilla IS? Someone who has an opinion and isn't afraid to say it? If that's the case, I've been a bridezilla since, oh, about age four.

I always defined a bridezilla as someone who verbally abuses her bridal party, tells off vendors for making even the smallest mistake, or just insists on having a wedding that's plain old ugly. I've been called a bridezilla for not wanting to wear a veil, for deciding NOT to put some sort of fancy china on our wedding registry, and because I won't let anyone announce us as Mr. & Mrs. M.T. I've also noticed that alot of people like to tell me what I'll want. I say I don't want a veil and someone says, "Oh you'll WANT one...just wait." I say I don't want a fancy sit down dinner and someone says, "That's crazy! What else would you have at a wedding?? You'll see that you'll want something served." I say I only want to register at Home Depot and Target and people say, "But there's nothing expensive there! You'll want to register somewhere expensive."

Last night, I watched a show all about women shopping for wedding dresses at the bridal gown giant Kleinfeld's in New York. The program showed all of the sales associates complaining about the brides who were "just looking" at dresses, or the ones who came in with a set idea of what they wanted to wear. It made me wonder who the bridezillas really are in the wedding industry. Is it the brides or the people who milk them out of ridiculous amounts of money? After all, if a chic is paying three grand for a dress, doesn't she have the right to dictate she'll wear? If she's shelling out 15 grand for a reception, doesn't she have a right to bitch if things aren't going according to plan? Or is that bridezilla behavior?

In the meantime, I'll continue to smile and say thank you to the people who tell me what I'll want. I will also continue to work out in the hopes of looking good in a dress like this and know that if I DO become a bridezilla, I have great friends like my MoHos to tell me to shut the hell up and calm down. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's so great you'll be getting married in Philadelphia, where you two have made yor life together. On a selfish note, get married before October 2nd because of this:
http://www.philamuseum.org/press/releases/2007/609.html
Loved it at the Whitney...would love to see it again as an older more quilterly lady. Also, Monique Lhuillier is brilliant. Does she sell dresses in your size or is that just an inspiration image?
xox

LD said...

Well, Stace, Philly was really just the cheapest option for us, as far as weddings go, but we are excited to have it down here. We're hoping that people will make a weekend out of it!

I don't know if Lhuillier makes dresses in my size, although I have lost 27 lbs in the last few months and I'm refusing to try on dresses until after the New Year. But I couldn't afford to buy one of her dresses, anyway...I might have a copy of that one made for me, though.

LD said...

PS That exhibit sounds cool! One of my cousins is making us a quilt for our wedding gift and I'm so excited! She's a painter and a quilter so I knew she'd give us something handmade and beautiful. Perhaps she'll be interested in going to the exhibit, too! She's also my weight loss inspiration, as she lost 160 lbs in the last year and change.

Faith said...

unwanted advice is the gift that keeps on giving. and giving. and giving. and... oh, you get the picture.

by the way - love the dress. and way to go on the weight loss. i've encountered a serious stumbling block in my WW attempts lately - quitting smoking has me dealing with a serious need to stuff my face. bad.