Tuesday, January 27, 2009

thinking about summer

One of the neighborhood moose families this spring


Ladies, ladies, ladies - How did I miss the past 30 something posts until last night? But what a nice surprise - especially the photos, I love them!


I don't really have much news from around these parts. The days are getting noticeably longer, which gets me to thinking about gardening. I won't be putting anything in the ground until after Memorial Day, but I might set up a grow light in the kitchen to give some herbs a head start. I've never had luck growing lavender and basil here but will be giving it another shot this year. I transplanted a bunch of native plants from the state park land across from our house late last summer. I've got my fingers crossed that they'll survive this winter, with its wacky weather changes. About two weeks ago, the temperature rose by 75 degrees in just a few days!


I love winter, don't get me wrong. But I'm excited to get back to bare feet in the grass, clothes on the line, and puttering around the yard. I put in a patio last year, which was a huge improvement. So, in less than 4 months' time, I'll be out there enjoying it again. Yes... 4 months. But, as some of you know, summer in Alaska is well worth the wait!

Getting started on the patio project
Transplanting - some of the native plants were really cool: wild geranium, dwarf willow,
Labrador tea. I also planted lots of shade loving perennials like hosta & lily of the valley.

The finished product as seen from our bedroom window- but it looked much better once the grass came in & the plants grew!

1 comments:

stacey said...

That's awesome that you went through all that effort with the transplanting...cheap and earth-friendly!