Sunday, May 04, 2008

My Summer Reading List

It's light and breezy and a bit lowest common denominator and I can't wait...
1. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Everyone in the world loves this book...I'm so excited that it's sure to be a disappointment.

2. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
I started this so long ago, but never invested the time to really get into it. Will need to start fresh.

3. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Heard a review on NPR and LOVE the premise.

4.Wives and Daughters: An Every day Story by Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell
I wanted at least one classic to be included on the list and was inspired by this.

5. Certain Girls: A Novel by Jennifer Weiner
Weiner seems like the kind of woman you want to be friends with. Her stories always suck me in completely, but are lengthy enough that it takes more than a day to finish them. That's awesome because I'm a super-fast reader and hate it when a good book seems to end as soon as it starts.

6. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Another novel that I started long ago, but set aside for no reason at all.

7. The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
Swiped from a box of books at Valhalla (Pete's family's lakehouse in New Hampshire) last summer and been sitting on the bookshelf since then. It's the hardcover version so that feels a little extra special.

8. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
Another book that's been hanging out on the shelf forever...I think I bought it for like a dollar at a thrift store. Just because it was there.

9. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
You know when you've heard so much and read so much and thought so much about a book that you forget you haven't actually READ said book? That's what this one is like for me.

10. Things I Learned From Knitting (Whether I wanted To or Not) by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
I had so many other books that I wanted to put on this list, but I know myself. I know that one day in July, I'll be at WEBS and I'll buy this book and start reading it 2 minutes later in the car. So if that's going to happen anyway I figured it should go on the list.

11. Misconceptions by Naomi Wolf
To start the reading for my postpartum doula certification. I chose this one as the first because Naomi Wolf is a hottie who kicks ass in general.

12. The Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins
More required reading. Should be helpful to these ladies too.

What's on your list?

5 comments:

Laura said...

Stacey, I'm so glad you posted something! I've had a million posts in my head and never sat down to actually type one out, although I have done a bit of updating on my personal blog, lately.

I've been trying to catch up on the latest theories in child welfare policy, so my reading list has been rather lame.

Right now, I'm reading "The Book of David: How Preserving Families Can Cost Children's Lives", by Richard Gelles, a big scholar in child welfare policy who teaches at Penn. But the Kite Runner is also on my list of books I'd like to read. I just bought "The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court," by Jeffrey Toobin, too. I guess I'm on a non-fiction kick, these days.

S. said...

I will admit I'm reading a Jodi Picoult right now that I am enjoying (wasn't a big fan of the last one I read). I feel a bit low-brow, but it's still the school year. I would also add Animal, Vegetable, Miracle to my summer list. And probably some combo of books so I don't fuck up my baby. Thanks for 11 and 12 stace!

Liz said...

Hey ladies! Long time no postin. On my list is Alice Sebold's (of Lovely Bones) newer book; A Thousand Splendid Suns; Charlie WIlson's War; Eat Pray Love; and Water for Elephants.

On everyone's list should be Forever by Pete Hamill. I LOVED this book, especially for anyone who has lived or live in NYC. It's a wonderful fictional book, but takes you through over 300 years of history in Manhattan.

I was on a huge Augusten Burroughs kick and read Dry and Possible Side Effects. The second one mentioned is not as intense, since it's short stories.

Right now I'm reading a book called Dizzy City which is pretty good. Can't remember the author.

Happy reading!

stacey said...

Liz, thanks for the tip about "Forever"...that's on my bookshelf from the same free book box at Valhalla as some others, but I didn't know if it was any good. All my current reading is for my doula class next week. I'm halfway through with The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, The Ultimate Book of Breastfeeding, and some big general childbirth and newborn book that I forget the name of. Also half done with The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food. I bought those 2 for Pete for V-Day so can only read them when he's not.

CD and SP said...

Forever became one of my fav books after I read it. Quite a good story. I'm currently reading the Kingsolver book and let's just say it makes me feel like an asshole when I now go to a regular grocery story. Kite Runner is depressing but good, also historically informative, and I will probably be reading the last one you mentioned to keep up!
Can I have The Namesake when you're done?
I put The Mermaid Chair down unfinished. I couldn't handle the middle aged-ness of it, as obnoxious as that sounds.